Mulled wine poached pears
- 5 firm pears
- 1 bottle red wine
- Whole cinnamon, star anise, cloves
- 1 large orange juiced, and halved
- 100g brown sugar
- 200ml tonic water
- 125g butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- dash vanilla
- 250g plain flour
- 1 Jar Moran's Pear, blackberry & amaretto jam
- 115g butter
- 115g caster sugar
- 115g ground almonds
- 3 medium eggs
- 15g plain flour
- 3 drops almond essence
- 30g flaked almonds
- For the mulled wine pears, place your red wine, spices, tonic, sugar, orange juice and rind into a pot and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Peel the pears and pop into the red wine mix.
- Cook gently for 10 minutes or until the pear has softened up.
- Remove from the heat and cool the pears in the liquid.
- For the pastry, in a bowl, cream the butter and sugar until soft and pale in colour.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix.
- Finally add the plain flour and mix until you have a soft dough.
- Wrap and chill for 30 minutes before needed.
- Grease and flour a 10” loose bottom tart ring.
- Once the pastry is rested, roll out onto a floured surface until 1/2cm in thickness.
- Line the tart ring and trim any excess pastry. Chill the tart.
- For the frangipane, cream the butter and sugar, add the eggs one by one.
- To this add the ground almonds, essence and plain flour. Mix.
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan/350F/Gas 4.
- To assemble, spread the Moran's pear, blackberry amaretto jam on the base of the tart shell.
- Spoon the frfrangipanen top and spread.
- Remove the pears from the liquid and cut in half if small or quarters if larger and arrange these around the top of the frangipane.
- Sprinkle with flaked almonds and pop in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool, best served with a spoon of semi-whipped cream.