VELVET CAKE INGREDIENTS
- 265g)self-raising flour
- 340g granulated sugar
- 80g black cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 240ml full-fat buttermilk
- 240ml hot water
BLACK BUTTERCREAM INGREDIENTS
- 452g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 840g icing sugar
- 60gblack cocoa powder
- 40g natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 Tbsp whole milk, room temperature
- 4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 jar of Morans Mega Jam Blackcurrant & Guinness jam
MAKE THE BLACK VELVET CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 180ºF and prepare three 6-inch or two 8-inch cake pans by spraying the sides with cooking spray and fitting the bottoms with a wax paper or parchment cake circle.
- Place all of the dry ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer and stir on low for 30 seconds to fully combine them. Add the vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk and mix on low until just combined. With the mixer still on low, add the hot water in a slow stream, then turn the mixer to medium and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes. The batter will be very thin.
- Pour into prepared cake pans no more than 2/3 full and bake for 32-36 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
MAKE THE BLACK BUTTERCREAM
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, whip the butter on medium speed until creamy and light in colour, about 4 minutes. Scrape down the bowl and paddle, then add the icing sugar, cocoa powders, milk, vanilla extract. Turn the mixer to low until all ingredients start to come together.